The Penno Demons Auskick program makes learning to play AFL fun and safe for boys and girls. Through weekly coaching sessions the kids learn the skills of the game in an exciting, social, family environment.
Children learn the fundamental motor skills vital for future physical activity and sport participation as well as learning how to interact with other children as part of a team.
AFL is unique in that physically it involves running as well as upper and lower body skill progression through both catching/passing and kicking. Self- confidence is built as skills are improved and new relationships forged.
To ensure children's safety there is no tackling in Auskick.
The program provides a great opportunity for parents to interact with their kids through the activities, have the opportunity to make new friends and learn about the game.
Specific details of Penno Demons Auskick are:
- Conducted Thursday nights under lights at Ern Holmes Oval. The season kicks off in March each year. New players can be accommodated during the season which runs from March to August each year.
- Each session commences at 5.30pm and finishes at around 6:30pm.
- The sessions are a mix of fun skill drills/games and simulated games.
- Boys and girls are all welcome.
- We are particularly keen to attract more girls to the club, with Penno now fielding very successful girls only teams in older age groups.
- Children must be aged between 5 (or turning 5 in 2017) and 7. Therefore ok if turning 8 post 1 January 2017.
- Children who have already turned 8 on 1 January 2017 are eligible to play Under 9's. Training also held on Thursday evenings.
- Running shoes or boots are ok.
- Mouthguards are recommended for training.
- Parent involvement in training activities is welcomed and encouraged.
- We are a welcoming and inclusive family club.
The ongoing team rules for Penno Auskick are: respect the team, try your hardest and most of all have fun.
Plus, a new side rule crept in during 2016: eat your vegetables. This one was often jeered at by the kids (understandably), but hopefully they occasionally went home and followed it.
How to Register
Registrations are done online. https://membership.sportstg.com/regoform.cgi?formID=54693&nfEntityTypeID=5&nfEntityID=680&aID=680
For more information:
Contact our Auskick Coordinator, Chris Hogan on 0423 073 827 or firstname.lastname@example.org